Welcome to my blog, Whats this about then?

This is a place where I will be posting all sorts of things not just things relating to Derby and Derbyshire. On here you will find details of any videos I’ve made of things in Derby and also Time-lapse, stop motion animation, Tutorials etc. If I find some useful software for PC or iPhone then I will feature it here.I’m sure that there will be something of interest to someone on my many posts.Please leave comments on any posts if you like them.
Don’t forget if you are new to my blog and would like to read through the previous posts then see the Blog Archive section on the left side of this page.
Also there is a Search box at the top left of the page if you are looking for something but cant remember where it was. I am a trustee member of "Friends of Friar Gate bridge", aiming to get this bridge restored.

Wednesday 25 November 2009

Windows 7 Audio Driver for ASUS K8V-VM motherboard, Solution to missing sound.

Have you tried the new Microsoft Windows 7 operating System yet?
If you had stuck with Windows XP rather than going over to the rather unstable Vista then you may want to try the new Windows 7 OS. Its a lot better than Vista, not difficult I know!
The ASUS K8V-VM Motherboard.
 I have installed it on an older machine which has an Asus K8V-VM motherboard in it.
It found all the hardware and installed all the drivers but there was no sound at all.
The Volume icon on the system tray showed a red cross in it, hovering over it showed "You do not have speakers or headphone plugged in", even though it did have.
It took quite a while to sort this problem out so I thought I would share this with anyone else out there who has no sound on their ASUS motherboard after installing Windows 7.

The driver I found fixed the problem and I now have sound on Windows 7.
Normally you would visit the download section of the Motherboard manufacturer but the audio drivers offered on the ASUS website for the K8V-VM would not install on Windows 7, but not to worry as I have the solution for you here.

It may be time to think about getting a new PC, ready to go systems are very cheap these days and come with Windows 7 installed so you know all the hardware is going to be compatible with it :


Here are the specifics :

The motherboard (Mainboard) is a ASUS K8V-VM, This uses an Audio Codec "Realtek ALC660" which is a 6-Channel Codec.

To get the Audio Driver you need to visit the website for the actual manufacturer of the Audio Codec.

So visit :
http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Click The Downloads button at the top of the page.
Click the High Definition Audio Codecs (Software) link
Tick "I accept the above" then wait for the page to update then click Next.
You will now see a page of files available for download, at the top of this list is..

Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)R2.37 2009/11/20 38690k

Click on the first Go link for Site 1 and download the ZIP file.
Once complete, extract all the files from it and run the setup.exe file.
Run through the installation and it will ask you to reboot.
You now have sound !

This codec may fix the no audio problem on many Asus motherboards. I notice on the Realtek site there is a seperate section for downloading Windows 7 drivers for the following codecs..
RTL8100B(L)/RTL8100C(L)/RTL8101L/RTL8139C(L)RTL8139C(L)+/RTL8139D(L)/RTL8100(L)
RTL8130/RTL8139B(L)

Please leave comment if this fixed the no audio problem on Windows 7.

UPDATE: I have noticed over the last few days that sometimes the sound stops working, looking in the devices shows that the driver has gone which is rather strange. Reinstalling it again brings it back to life, I had to do this about 5 times but then it seemed to stay working for ever. Bare this in mind.

If this happens again then I have a permanent solution and that is to buy a USB External Sound Card.
The one I'm looking at is a Creative Soundblaster X-fi Go, this DOES work with Windows 7 and you dont even need to open up your pc to install it.

22 comments:

  1. Everything I was looking for! Top man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have noticed over the last few days that sometimes the sound stops working, looking in the devices shows that the driver has gone which is rather strange. Reinstalling it again brings it back to life, I had to do this about 5 times but then it seemed to stay working for ever. Bare this in mind."
    Exact same Mother Board....
    But it continues to disappear :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this excellent solution you are a star.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine solution, but the sudden disappearance is a hassle

    ReplyDelete
  5. K8V-VM is not Win7 compatible :(
    check compatibility site

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you have driver for the video for windows 7?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same mobo, same problem. Also, Win 7 insists on re-installing the PCI bus driver constantly, which may be the underlying problem killing the sound. The realtek solution hasn't worked for me. Nor did adding an old Audigy soundcard I had laying around - Win 7 repeatedly re-installed that driver as well, and I end up with a dozen Audigys listed in the device manager, but at least the sound works most of the time.

    I've been trying to find a way to "lock down" the drivers so Win 7 doesn't mess with them, but so far, no luck. I wonder though, if the fact that the motherboard has PCI express cobbled onto a chipset that I don't think originally supported it (all the VIA/AMD mobos of the era were still AGP only) is what's really at the bottom of the apparent W7 incompatibilities. I bet a BIOS update would solve the issue, but let's face it, I can't see ASUS giving a darn about such an old and, frankly, obsolete piece of hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers dude, seems to be working so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats the problem with the asus K8V-VM....audio is not supported by windows 7...although try the solution above really fix the problem....but still the audio keep missing some other time....so i guess i'll put some pci audio card and solve the problem...i may late to notice but its a good experience anyway..thanks for posting...

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you so much, finally fixed the sound problem after many long hours :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just installed Windows 7 to my Desktop which is Asus K8v-VM and i could not hear sounds. Got this link and it worked. Let me get back if get the issue again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. same problem with the motherboard on windows 7. It works fine when you install the driver of the sound card but after you unplug the AC power after using the PC for a minute then try to open it, the sound driver gone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found Vista_Win7_R251.exe for MB K8V-VM Asus it's work with Win7 Ultimate
    Vista_Win7_R266.exe don't work
    I have 1 gB mem, and sometimes when the CPU is 100% busy, the sound interrupt.
    I'm very satisfied over Win7 Ultimate , finally a good OS from Microsoft

    ReplyDelete
  14. me again. I resolved MB K8V-VM Asus sound.
    2 GB RAM Mem. DDR type
    Rewrite BIOS -latest version K8VM0902.ROM
    OS- Win 7 Ultimate 64b - I have Sempron 3400+ processor
    64bit_Vista_Win7_R266.exe drivers found on Asus site
    First ,couple times, was some interrupt , but stop it after I have install some programs like Office ,KMPlayer,TCommander.I don't know why, but it's work now. If you have troubles, after that, I think that you must buy a sound card with drivers for win7 64.For the people who want quality of sound ,it's necessary.
    For Free Information On Net
    if I found that (like I wrote) I don't lose 4 days. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here in Brazil, I was absolutely stuck i.e totally unble to solve the sound problem.
    Thanks for throwing some light to me a lot of other brazilians
    henrique_spbr são Paulo, Brazil)

    ReplyDelete
  16. the via chipset on this board will give your hardware new id's on a cold boot, then windows sets about installing your new hardware on startup. asus never made a bios update to fix it as far as i can tell. keep the driver you've downloaded in an easy to find location, you'll need it again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just installed Windows 7 to my Desktop which is Asus K8v-VM and i could not hear sounds. Got this link and it worked. Let me get back if get the issue again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. woooow! thanks man you really did a great job!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. use windows 8, I installed the drive and it worked perfect,
    thank you, I live in Brazil Randal

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just installed Win 7 on Asus K8v-VM and have the same soundcard problem. I cannot find the R2.37 2009/11/20 drivers referred to above, Can anyone please upload upload driver to Dropbox or similar, or let me have the link to current location on Realtek?
    Many thanks
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  21. you are a legend

    ReplyDelete
  22. God bless those who offer solutions...

    ReplyDelete