Welcome to my blog, Whats this about then?

This is a place where I will be posting all sorts of things not just things relating to Derby and Derbyshire. On here you will find details of any videos I’ve made of things in Derby and also Time-lapse, stop motion animation, Tutorials etc. If I find some useful software for PC or iPhone then I will feature it here.I’m sure that there will be something of interest to someone on my many posts.Please leave comments on any posts if you like them.
Don’t forget if you are new to my blog and would like to read through the previous posts then see the Blog Archive section on the left side of this page.
Also there is a Search box at the top left of the page if you are looking for something but cant remember where it was. I am a trustee member of "Friends of Friar Gate bridge", aiming to get this bridge restored.

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Google Street View is recapturing Derby right now (Nov 2012)

update : These new Google Street Views are now live.
I'm sure you have all seen and used Google Street View but I noticed that Google are currently recapturing the streets in Derby at the moment.

The google street view car had to stop on Friday afternoon while I had my car door open, it then sped past me ! I did a double take as could not believe I had seen an actual Google Streetview car.

Keep an eye out for it in Derby. Its a black car with a distinctive 360 degree camera mount on the top of it. It has a orange stick man logo (google streetview icon) on the back of the car. 

The google Street View car looks like this :
Google Street View car

It was also spotted on Pear Tree Road on Monday 5th November 2012 so its obviously re-photographing Derby at the moment.

The last time Google mapped out the streets of Derby was back in 2008. A lot has changed in Derby in those few years. For example look at this streetview below of Derby Bus Station, it was captured in August 2008 so there is NO bus station built yet !

View Larger Map


Control the 360 view above using your mouse. 

You can see the Google streetview car that captured Derby in 2008 as its reflected in the large windows of the building on Derwent Street. You can see it here :

View Larger Map  

Are YOU a google streetview driver? How did you get the job?

Did you know that Google Street view has even mapped out some Canals in the UK?
Have a look here - Tow path on the Llangollen Canal. Pity its not gone across the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct seems to stop at the end of it.

Thanks
Andy

1 comment:

  1. Great spot! Looks like the streetview update is now online.

    ReplyDelete