Welcome to my blog, Whats this about then?

This is a place where I will be posting all sorts of things not just things relating to Derby and Derbyshire. On here you will find details of any videos I’ve made of things in Derby and also Time-lapse, stop motion animation, Tutorials etc. If I find some useful software for PC or iPhone then I will feature it here.I’m sure that there will be something of interest to someone on my many posts.Please leave comments on any posts if you like them.
Don’t forget if you are new to my blog and would like to read through the previous posts then see the Blog Archive section on the left side of this page.
Also there is a Search box at the top left of the page if you are looking for something but cant remember where it was. I am a trustee member of "Friends of Friar Gate bridge", aiming to get this bridge restored.

Wednesday 29 May 2013

Video of the Worlds most powerful steam engine ever built. 12000 Horse Power. The River Don Engine, Sheffield.

This is the World's most powerful steam engine ever built. 12000 Horse Power (8.9 MW).
This is the River Don Engine at Kelham Island Museum, Sheffield, UK.

This massive engine weighs 420 tons and stands 28 foot high, 40 foot long !

You need to turn up the sound or use headphones and play it fullscreen at 720p to get an idea of how powerfull this thing really is.

Here is my HD video of the Don River engine in steam :


I can highly recommend going to this museum to see this in steam, very impressive indeed.

I've seen some impressive Victorian engineering in the past but this is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. The sheer power in this beast has to be seen in person.

See it in steam Monday - Thursday 12pm and 2pm and Sunday 12pm, 2pm and 4pm.
It is not always running though due to maintenance so check with the museum first if traveling a long way to see it.

This is a stationary steam powered mill for making steel armour plate for the hulls of battleships.


It is able to reverse from full speed in just 2 seconds. The rapid reverse was an essential feature of an engine used for rolling, as delays would result in cooling of the workpiece.

Four identical mills were made but the other three have since been scrapped.

There is a short video you can watch of this mill when it was still in use. This video display is near the entrance to the engine area.

I hope you enjoyed it.
Thanks
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment