Welcome to my blog, Whats this about then?

This is a place where I will be posting all sorts of things not just things relating to Derby and Derbyshire. On here you will find details of any videos I’ve made of things in Derby and also Time-lapse, stop motion animation, Tutorials etc. If I find some useful software for PC or iPhone then I will feature it here.I’m sure that there will be something of interest to someone on my many posts.Please leave comments on any posts if you like them.
Don’t forget if you are new to my blog and would like to read through the previous posts then see the Blog Archive section on the left side of this page.
Also there is a Search box at the top left of the page if you are looking for something but cant remember where it was. I am a trustee member of "Friends of Friar Gate bridge", aiming to get this bridge restored.

Saturday 16 January 2010

Derby (Street by Street), A great book for local history buffs and anyone interested in their street.



Derby (Street by Street) by Maxwell Craven.
ISBN 978-1859834268

I have been using this book for a few years now, its an excellent reference tool for any local historian or if you just want to learn more about your street and how it came about.

This book gives a detailed history of all of the streets in Derby.
It includes over 150 photographs.

And gives information such as the origin and former names of the streets. Dates they were layed out and built up, notable people that lived there.


Even though this book came out in 2005 its still available to buy today, I often use this for finding out about streets that people mention to me that don't seem to be present on todays maps, this in often because the roads have been redeveloped during the 1960s to make way for new things.
Combine this book with some old A-Z maps from ebay and your able to find most things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment