Welcome to my blog, Whats this about then?

This is a place where I will be posting all sorts of things not just things relating to Derby and Derbyshire. On here you will find details of any videos I’ve made of things in Derby and also Time-lapse, stop motion animation, Tutorials etc. If I find some useful software for PC or iPhone then I will feature it here.I’m sure that there will be something of interest to someone on my many posts.Please leave comments on any posts if you like them.
Don’t forget if you are new to my blog and would like to read through the previous posts then see the Blog Archive section on the left side of this page.
Also there is a Search box at the top left of the page if you are looking for something but cant remember where it was. I am a trustee member of "Friends of Friar Gate bridge", aiming to get this bridge restored.

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Video - A week in London in time-lapse as seen from The Monument in 360 degrees

Please watch at full screen and at 720p/1080p if you can.
I created this unique time-lapse video from a total of around 10,000 photographs taken from the live Monument webcam.
The Monument webcam is a special 360 degree webcam that updates every 60 seconds.
I have only just got around to creating this video even though I had the frames for over two years on my hard disk.
My video is rendered at 1080p and needs to be played in fullscreen due to the letterbox aspect ratio otherwise you will not be able to see all the little details.

The Monument to the Great Fire of London, more commonly known as "The Monument", is a 202 foot tall stone Roman Doric column in the City of London, England.
Its located where the Great Fire of London started in 1666. It was constructed between 1671 and 1677, it is the tallest isolated stone column in the world!
The monument closed in July 2007 for an 18-month, £4.5 million refurbishment project and re-opened in February 2009. A special live 360 degree webcam was then fitted
to the top of the Monument. Based on a Kaidan VR360 with a Canon EOS 1D Mk3.
My time-lapse video is made from the 360 panorama's taken by this equipment.


My Video:



Music - Repercussions Of 7th Heaven by 808Chunk
www.audiotool.com/track/repercussions_of_7th_heaven
Used under creative commons license Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Points of interest - If you watch this video in Full Screen mode at 720 then you will keep spotting new things, here are some you may have missed
01:19 to 01:29 - The Moon rising on left and travelling across sky.
01:50 - Window cleaning gantry going up and down on the brown building about 35% across from left of panorama.
02:08 - Tower Bridge lifting. It can be seen lifting several times in my video.

If you spot something of interest let me know the time-code.

When was the week of recording?:
Monday 6th July 2009 to Monday 13th July 2009
First frame captured at noon on the 6th.
Frames were captured every 60 seconds for a whole week and then played in sequence.

The frames were captured using a CRON job on a Linux machine.
The images are 1024 x 240 pixels and cover a full 360 degree view of London from the top of The Monument.
I had to go through thousands of frames and delete all the corrupt ones, these are images that contain vivid colours due to jpeg corruption. I'm guessing this happened due to the images being
sent by Wi-Fi from the camera?
I may have missed the odd corrupt image in my video but I think I caught most of them.

Map Location:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=The+Monument+is+here@51.51011716135102,-0.08596184152520436

Google Streetview:
Here you can see the Monument captured during restoration as seen from Monument Street with its junction with Pudding Lane.
http://g.co/maps/yqswq

Here you can see the Monument captured after restoration work was completed.
Fish Street Hill
http://g.co/maps/u3vv3

I discovered this unusual situation. In this Google Streetview you can see the Monument wrapped up during restoration but then you move forward two steps and the restoration work is fully completed!. I guess they must have driven this bit of road in two parts.
http://g.co/maps/uzc8q

The 360 degree Panoramic webcam:
There is a very detailed explanation of this camera system on the website here.
http://www.themonumentview.net/about.php

The equipment :
http://www.themonumentview.net/about.php?content=Technical%20Concept

The Monument to the Great Fire of London reopened after a £4.5m restoration which took 18 months. Here is a short video by the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7893738.stm

Note:
This webcam seems to have stopped working as of August 12th 2011, It keeps showing the same image. I have contacted them about this but not had a reply. I hope they get it up and running again soon.

Live webcam :
http://www.themonument.info/panorama/

Hope you found my video of interest.
Rate and comment if you enjoyed it.

If you would like to see some local webcams for Derby and Derbyshire then have a look at the selection on my website :
http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/webcams/index.htm


Thanks
Andy

Hope you enjoy the view.
Andy

1 comment:

  1. That's brilliant! Fascinating to watch the cranes dancing around = and possible to spot the weekend from the sudden stillness. I love the sunrise at about 2mins 28, and the effect of the raindrops on the lens is quite appealing.

    ReplyDelete