Welcome to my blog, Whats this about then?

This is a place where I will be posting all sorts of things not just things relating to Derby and Derbyshire. On here you will find details of any videos I’ve made of things in Derby and also Time-lapse, stop motion animation, Tutorials etc. If I find some useful software for PC or iPhone then I will feature it here.I’m sure that there will be something of interest to someone on my many posts.Please leave comments on any posts if you like them.
Don’t forget if you are new to my blog and would like to read through the previous posts then see the Blog Archive section on the left side of this page.
Also there is a Search box at the top left of the page if you are looking for something but cant remember where it was. I am a trustee member of "Friends of Friar Gate bridge", aiming to get this bridge restored.

Monday 14 May 2012

Video of my 1977 Silver Jubilee Crown Coin, 360° Object photography using stop motion capture.

Seeing as the Queens Diamond Jubilee is here soon I thought I would have a go at doing some 360° Object photography to celebrate. I have never tried 360° Object photography before. I used stop motion capture to collect the frame sequence.

the video of my 1977 Crown Coin.


View me in full screen mode at 720p or 1080p.

I recently found this coin that I was given as a child in Primary School back in 1977 to celebrate the Queens Silver Jubilee. I think all the children in my class at school were given these as a gifts at the time. Can't imagine that happening today can you!



Coin Specifications :
Metal: Cupro-Nickel
Diameter: 38.61mm
Weight: 28.28g

You'd think this coin would be worth quite a lot but I see there are lots on ebay for £1-£2, oh well.

If you would like to learn more about the Queens Silver Jubilee then see :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Jubilee_of_Elizabeth_II


The complete 360 rotation of the coin is made from 294 photographs.
I used my Canon Ixus 430 in Macro mode and triggered it using PSRemote in time-lapse mode.
Each photograph is 2272x1704 pixels, I have cropped them down to 16:9 aspect ratio and 1080p resolution for Youtube video format.

To rotate the coin I put a tiny bit of glue on the edge of the coin and stuck it onto a spindle that allowed me to rotate it a tiny amount from underneath.
As you may notice I got a bit bored after 180 degrees of turning it a tiny amount each time so the 2nd side of the coin moves a bit quicker.

Its not too bad for a first attempt, what do you think?
The main problem seems to be focus which starts having trouble when the edge of the coin is close to the lens.
I'm happy with the stability of the shots, nothing has moved from frame 1 to frame 294.
Exposure is pretty good as is the detail picked out by the lens.
There is a lot to think about when doing 360° Object photography such as reflections and lighting.

Thanks
Andy

My YouTube Videos : http://www.youtube.com/user/comedyhunter/videos
http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk
http://www.absolutelyandy.com
http://derbyphotoscouk.blogspot.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment